Friday, January 26, 2007

On the Road Again


Christmas vacation is over and reality has started to settle in. I am on the road again for three more months, traveling... state to state, airport to airport. I haven't "blogged" in quite some time, so there is much to catch up on. For the few of you who read this, thanks! I am glad that you enjoy my random thoughts.


I recently decided to not travel for a second year. It was probably one of the hardest decisions that I have ever had to make, and for that, I am thankful. I love my job and every day I think of how lucky I am that I am able to do what I do every day, and get paid for it! However, being home for a month over Christmas made me realize that I want to be settled. I want a regular schedule. I want to teach. I want my own bedroom and bathroom. I want real friends that I can actually hang out with. I want to coach. I want to really make a difference in the life of a child. I want to be near my family. I just want to be normal and the life of the road is so far from that. Alpha Xi Delta has given so much to me and I always want to give back. I look forward to being an active volunteer and helping chapters, but at the same time, being a normal 22 year old having a regular job and a life.


The semester has started out nicely. I started out with two other consultants in Indianapolis for a few days, working at headquarters and catching up on paperwork. From there, I went to Auburn for their officer retreat and then to Cornell for recruitment. Cornell recruitment was unlike anything I had ever seen! All of the houses are in a one mile radius so the potential new members walk everywhere. Let me remind you, we're in upstate NY in January... the high is 12 degrees. It's rather chilly! So, these women walk and through the sideways snow in their cute recruitment outfits with sweats/hoodies/jackets/boots on top of the outfits and then a bag with their other warm clothes. When they get to the houses, they literally change clothes right outside the door right before they walk in. It was fascinating, and quite funny!


I have spent this past week in NC, at Greensboro College. There are only 1,300 students here, so it has been pretty relaxing. I will get to stay with my family tonight before my flight leaves tomorrow, so I can't wait to hang out with them... and let mom help me with my laundry!


2 Comments:

Blogger T said...

Wow Lauren it sounds like you have such a busy life! I love reading your blogs, and keeping up your adventures!! I miss you girl let's get up sooN!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Kirby said...

Lauren! I LOVE your blog! You are such a good writer! Please pick it back up (like you don't have enough going on, I know).

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home